by Julianne Kulosa
Julianne is a Spiritual Intuitive and Guide, empowering others to live a life of miracles and magic through trusting the power of love.
Some of you are very familiar with the idea of grounding your energy. The concept is used to really get our “feet on the ground,” to be fully in our bodies. When we are grounded, we are better able to handle all of life's challenges as well as fully experience all of life's gifts.
The first time I learned to ground my energy was back in about 1988 at the Berkeley Psychic Institute. I would send a cord from my root chakra, at the base of the spine, down to the center of the Earth. I’ve also grounded by imagining roots like a tree coming out from my feet and grounding down into the earth. When I was a fitness instructor, I would guide my yoga students to ground in this way during "tree" pose, as well as release what no longer served them by giving it to the earth, where it would be composted. After all, it’s the nature of earth to gain rich and fertile soil through dead leaves and creatures. Wouldn’t the same be true with dead thoughts, feelings, habits and memories that no longer serve our highest good now?
Over the past few years, I’ve noticed I feel strange about grounding my energy as I used to. I’ve been drawn to more heart-centered practices, sensing that the heart is the place to start in my spiritual practice.
In fact, I even feel strange about a tried-and-true method of bringing in light through the top of my head, grounding it down into the earth and filling my body with light. Not that I don’t still use light in many ways including a pillar of light from above and below, but it is different than in the past.
Know that I am not talking about “earthing”, a practice of naturally connecting to the earth such as through barefoot feet. We can talk about that another day.
As you know, it’s a challenge to trust yourself without anyone else agreeing with your viewpoint, especially when new ways of being and acting in the world are involved. I’m blessed to know the universe is co-conspiring with me (as it is with you!), and because of that, I have noticed that others whom I respect are talking about what I’ve come to find as well.
There are two realities afoot, my friends. The first is the one we know so well, that of 3rd dimensional experience. The other is 5th dimensional and beyond. Take a look around you and you’ll see the world is in chaos. While 5th dimensional earth is here, 3D is as well. Which do you want to add to?
I don’t want to get too “out there” with you in my blogs, though I do like to sprinkle in new concepts and possibilities that I’m certain you’ll be hearing about more and more. My goal is to serve you in a practical way, a way that brings more love, peace, joy and abundance to your life each day.
When we use outdated methods of grounding, as I described I’ve used in the past, we are unintentionally adding to the chaos. Mother earth is going through what we are, so she is not the best being to assist us in grounding into our bodies as spirits. Yes, we can indeed connect to her in 5th dimensional ways, but this does not include using her to recycle our internal waste or ground a body that is stressed, anxious or fearful.
So where do we start? How do we come more fully into our bodies, knowing that when we are stressed, our spirits tend to want to be anywhere but in our bodies?
Your anchor, your grounding point, is your heart. You start from there. Think of the heart as the new root chakra, the chakras no longer thought of as energetically linear bottom to top as in the past.
When we want to remember and live the truth of who we authentically are, when we want relief because we are stressed, overwhelmed, or dizzy with the chaos around and within us, we can anchor and ground into our hearts.
This is a practice. No amount of reading or others telling you what’s possible can replace you actually doing the practice. We must practice a different way of being in order to experience change in our lives. I know that you know this, but it’s easy to forget, especially when you are feeling victimized by circumstances you can’t control. When we are in a state of pain, fear and doubt, we naturally want to escape. Know you are doing the best you can, and can also commit to a new way of being.
6 Ways to Ground Into Your Heart
1. Try HeartMath. If you’re a more scientifically-minded person, begin with taking a class with the HeartMath Institute. There are many places to find classes, from Meetups to The Shift Network, to HeartMastery. They also have developed an amazing biofeedback system called the emWave so that you can literally know when you are in a coherent state with your heart and sustain longer periods of this state.
When your heart beat rhythm is coherent, meaning have a more consistent pattern, the heart sends a message to the brain and all other systems in the body to become coherent. In coherence, the body’s psychological and physiological state, such as the immune, cardiovascular and nervous systems, become harmonious and highly effective. These are the states of relaxation, peacefulness, and joy. Try their “Quick Coherence” practice. It takes just a minute or so!
2. Add on to the Quick Coherence technique. Place your hands on your heart, and breathe. Imagine your breath is coming into your heart and out from your heart. With your attention in your heart, say a word, such as “peace.” My personal favorite is, “I love you.”
What is it that you need in this moment? Other phrases might be, “I am safe,” “I am loved,” “Relax,” “I trust myself,” or “All is well.” Whether you feel different or not right away, you are practicing your ability to move and change energy by calling forth what you are wanting. You are powerful.
3. Expand Light From Your Heart. As you connect to your heart, imagine that there is an eternal flame of light within you. It is who you authentically are. It is your true essence, where all the love, joy, peace and abundance you might tend to seek outside yourself exists. This love is not dependent on any outer circumstance, including when you are feeling pain in your body or thoughts that tell you otherwise.
Sense, see or feel this light in your heart, a crystalline diamond white light. If you see or sense another color, trust that. Imagine this light expanding from your heart, filling your entire body. Don’t worry if you don’t experience anything. Just imagine. Imagine this light expanding out in all directions – above, below, in front of and behind you. If you’d like, expand it to your home, your neighbors, your town, your country and around the earth. You can even expand this light into all dimensions and timelines past, present and future. You are divine love and light!
4. Take a walk. This is a way to use our beloved earth for grounding. As you walk, deliberately connect to your heart by placing your hand on your heart, breathing into your heart and allowing yourself to feel, see and smell nature around you.
5. Call For Help. You are never alone. When your emotions, stress and thoughts are so intense that you can’t get yourself to do your own practice, call for support. Ask the universe for support, call on your angels for their love and guidance, call a friend who you know will remind you that you are strong and able to be in your body as you move through your upset, read inspiring words, or listen to a guided meditation or uplifting music.
6. Practice Calling On Your Heart. One of your best practices is to call on the help of your true divine self, that light that expands from your own heart. Practice noticing your connection to your heart when things are going well, when you are in a space of love, gratitude and trusting your process. You are the one that can really be there for yourself in the most loving and powerful way. What does this look like in practice?
I’ll explain with a personal example. I’ve found myself time and again noticing that I feel anxious, that I am doubting my abilities, my process, and where I am at in my life. I place my hands on my heart, breathe, and give attention to where in my body I am feeling anxious. I notice the thoughts that go along with my feelings. I say, “It’s ok, I am here for you. Tell me all about it. I love you.” I listen, like a loving mother would to her child. I’ll say, “I love you. I’m not going anywhere and am always here for you. You are safe. It’s ok.”
You see, the heart, the root of your true authentic self, is your greatest guide and biggest fan. This is the part of you that loves you for all that you are.
Your heart is meant to guide your mind and ego. It’s habitual for us to think it is the other way around: that the mind, filled with fear, doubt and a need to control our experiences and future, is meant to guide our true authentic self.
Some of you have practiced meditation, meaning practiced being the “observer”. While this is an excellent practice, know that divine you is not a separate you who observes your experiences. You came here to experience being a human, with human thoughts, feelings and judgments. While I am practiced at observing, when I call on help from my true divine nature, it actually is not separate from “me”. It is the me that remembers that I am not my experiences. I remember that my experiences do not define me nor limit my reality, but I can describe them. Rather, I am having experiences, and honor that what I am experiencing is absolutely real to me. This brings me the light, relief, calmness and love that is ever present if I only remember.
You can be like the hawk, flying higher to see this bigger perspective and truth of reality. When you come down from the sky and go to catch your dinner, filled with survival needs like feeding your body, you are bringing with you that bigger perspective of what brings true nourishment to your soul when you were flying above. A hawk is always a hawk. He immerses in his experience, whether from a broader perspective above or hunting on earth below.
By deliberately practicing, you can remain conscious of who you really are, even when immersed in any life experience. So go ahead and practice observing during your meditation time, and then come down, grounding into your heart and body here and now, able to fully be there for yourself, even in challenging times.
It's not just you, my beloved. The world is transforming and we're all in this together. You are a master and expert in your unique experiences and contribution to the world. Together we'll navigate through these challenging yet oh so juicy and magical times.